Sunday, August 1, 2010

European Vacation Day 1 – Edinburgh to Milan

[Finally posting the first journal entry from our European odyssey]

Spent a fortune in Edinburgh airport!  Flight left on time but J and I were not sitting together, the first time that has happened.  I got to sit in the aisle seat beside a couple with a small child.  No problem, put my ipod on and went to sleep. Woke up when something brushed my face.  It was the guy’s backpack, and he was in the aisle!  No idea how he got there.  When I had put my headphones in one of the rubber ear buds was missing.  Half way through the flight I saw it rolling down the aisle, so picked it up before any of the children could eat it!  Toddlers were pretty much running amok on the flight, staggering down the aisle with there mother or father attentively following them, letting them do pretty much whatever they wanted.  The alternative was being in a plane full of crying children for two hours, so I guess it was the lesser of two evils.

No problems getting into Milan and to our hotel using the train and then a tram from the station.  The weather was hot and sunny when we got off the train, in a very nice looking part of Milan.  Wide tree-lined streets everywhere! The hotel was very impressive, considering we had just booked it along with our easyJet flight.  It was quite plush and even had a balcony.  The staff were also very friendly and helpful.

Our tour begins!


Found a place for dinner, an “Irish tavern” improbably named Stalingrado.  Had a really nice meal, gnocchi alla pomodoro for me and penne arrabiatta for J.   The waiter misunderstood and brought us a bottle of wine instead of a half bottle.  We drank it all.  Then we went back to the hotel, where we had 2 more big glasses each!  The barman in the hotel was very nice and taught us some useful Italian.  We stumbled off to bed about 12.

Stalingrado, as Irish as the Blarney Stone


[Addendum: It turns out that the fortune we spent in Edinburgh Airport was on some of the best purchases we made during the entire holiday.  We got the notebook that I used for this journal, a Rough Guide to Europe which would prove invaluable (for the maps alone) and a Gorillapod, which enabled us to get some great pictures with our ageing camera (I have no doubt there will be more on the camera later)]

My travel journal

No comments:

Post a Comment