Wednesday, August 4, 2010

European Vacation Day 3 – Rome

What a great day! Had breakfast at a local coffee shop, right across from the Corriere Della Sport offices. I felt just like James Richardson! We made our way to our new hotel and met up with our Aussie tour leader Michelle and the others joining the tour today. They all seem very friendly. There are 2 Aussies (Scott and Erin), a Kiwi (Katie) and an American (Mariam).

Some of our party: me, trainee Greg, 'Chell and Mariam


Me at the gates of Rome

We started out on our walking tour by passing through the original gate of Rome into the Piazza del Popolo. From here we went to the Spanish Steps for some photos and to refill our water bottles at the fountain. Then it was on to the Trevi Fountain which was a spectacular sight. We got some granita (slushies), cherry for J and mint for me which was very refreshing.

Us at the Spanish Steps

J and the Trevi Fountain
After that we went to the Pantheon. It was a bit disappointing that half the facade was covered in scaffolding, but not much different to Edinburgh Castle most of the time. Inside the Pantheon was breathtaking. It was much, much bigger than I expected.

The best shot we managed to get of the Pantheon
From here we carried on to the monument of Vittorio Emmanuel II, Italy’s first king. Again the size of it was surprising and the relative modernity made it stand out against the ancient monuments. Fact time: The monument holds the world record for the largest moustache at 3 metres on the statue of VEII himself. Also here were Trajan’s column and Trajan’s Forum. Trajan is one of my favourite emperors so I enjoyed seeing these. Also from here we got our first sight of the Colloseum looming in the distance.

VE II monument - AKA The Wedding Cake

Trajan's Column
We walked down the road to the Colloseum past the Roman Forum. The tour ended at the Colloseum so we paid to go in and have a look around. It was amazing, and with that I think I’ve run out of superlatives for the day! During the tour I was good and stopped myself from correcting our guide (especially on the vomitarium myth) and really enjoyed seeing all these places I had read so much about.

A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum...

Inside the Collosseum

My only disappointment was that when we got out of the Colloseum the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill was closed. These were 2 of the things I wanted to see most, but they will have to wait for another time.

We took the Metro back to the Spanish Steps and from there walked to a vegetarian restaurant near the Piazza del Popolo. I was expecting a fairly low key place but it was very big, modern and stylish. The staff were excellent and very helpful. We both had the vegan set menu which consisted of 5 courses followed by coffee. I think I can safely say it was the best restaurant meal I have ever had.

We took the Metro home and met Scott and Erin as we left the station. They had done much the same as us and we got the bus back from the station to the hotel together, sharing stories of the day.

The weather was amazing again, I’m going to struggle to maintain my pale complexion if this carries on much longer! Peace out for another night!

No comments:

Post a Comment